Sunday, January 2, 2011

dino-yummy

Always on the hunt for good, quick, easy vegan meals at Walt Disney World, I was very happy to find a new option at Disney's Animal Kingdom - a park I have struggled a bit with, in terms of meal options. Restaurantosaurus, in Dinoland, has recently undergone some menu changes. Previously run by McDonalds, and specializing in McD's fries and chicken nuggets, they had to make some changes when Disney severed their ties with the popular hamburger chain. I am happy to report that they are now selling a very tasty Vegetable Subosaurus sandwich, with Sweet Potato Fries.

I saw the new addition to the menu, and was eager to find out if it was vegan. The menu describes it as "Grilled Vegetables, Mushrooms, Onions, Provolone, served on a Toasted Roll, with Sweet Potato Fries". Following my (now) usual protocol, I asked for a manager. She was very nice and friendly - eager to help. I asked her if the Subosaurus and fries were vegan, if ordered without the cheese. She said yes, and immediately produced the "big black book", to show me the ingredients of the roll. (E-mail me, if you'd like a copy.) To get a vegan version, they omit the cheese and don't toast the roll, which takes 8 to 10 minutes. As always, I'm happy to wait, in order to get a good vegan meal.

I happily ordered my sandwich with the manager, and she suggested we take a seat. She would come looking for us, when the meal was ready. Wow - that's the first time I've gotten table service from a counter-service restaurant! We spent a few minutes enjoying the little touches around the restaurant, and in no time at all, we saw the manager headed our way with our tray of food.

The sandwich was very tasty - a bit heavy on the portobellos, but not greasy at all (as I've found with some similar sandwiches). I shared it with my hubby, as we were only mildly hungry at the time, and it just fit the bill. So I can share that even my non-vegan hubby pronounced it "pretty good" (high praise for him).


I must confess that I did not grill the manager on their technique for preparing the sweet potato fries. She said they were vegan, and I didn't question it - so if preparation is important to you, you may want to check on this before ordering. Never having had sweet potato fries before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought they were quite good - and just different enough from regular fries to offer a nice change of pace.

The restaurant itself is really cute, too. As with nearly everything Disney does, the attention to detail is amazing. This cork board was one of my favorite little touches:


All in all, this was really the best counter-service meal I've had at the Animal Kingdom - a very welcome addition to some slim pickin's.

No comments: